Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Aubergine, chickpea, and tamarind stew
Make and share this Aubergine, Chickpea, and Tamarind Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 aubergine
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chili
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 400 g tomatoes
- 1 pepper
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 400 g chickpeas
- 300 g tomatoes
- handful mint
- Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
- Cut the aubergine into medium-size chunks and roast for 20-30 minutes on a lightly oiled baking tray until browned and almost cooked through.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan large enough to hold all the ingredients, and gently fry the onion, garlic, and whole chilli in it for 10 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spices including the mustard seeds and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the green pepper, honey, tamarind and aubergine pieces and lower the heat.
- Add the chickpeas (drained and rinsed) and fresh tomatoes and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and stir in the mint just before serving.
Very yummy. I added lamb to the dish for a little bit of meat and it really complimented the flavours. I didn't have tamarind on hand, so I used tamarind soup base, that proved to be a bit overpowering, so I wouldn't suggest anyone do that. Forgot that I didn't have canned tomatos, so just used fresh at canned stage, then fresh again at fresh stage, seems to have been ok. Everything else done per recipe. Looking forward to making this again with actual tamarind paste. <br/><br/>Thanks for a great dinner!