Recipe by Brian Holley
Aubergines cooked in a spiced tomato sauce and sweetened by the use of the pineapple. For a slightly different taste you could also add a couple of tablespoons of dessicated coconut, either way it makes a very good side dish for a meat curry,or, for vegetarians it has it all.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large aubergine, cubed
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 pineapple rings, cubed (tinned)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a deep pot and fry the cumin seeds till they start to sputter.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pot and fry for 3 mins, Add the curry paste, stir and add tomato puree and ground ginger . Cook for 2 mins, add the aubergine and green pepper stir to coat in the mixture, add the milk, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 10 minutes. ( if the mixture thickens too much add tablespoon of water).
- Stir in the pineapple and diced tomato. Take of the heat.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve with boiled rice and a meat curry.