Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an unusual chutney and all the better for it. Ideal with all curries, cold meats and cheeses. Make and store for two months before eating, that way the flavour develops. Has a long shelf life, if you haven't eaten it.
- 1 kg aubergine, cubed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon onion seeds
- 8 ounces onions, finely sliced
- 4 heads garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 red chilies, chopped
- 30 fluid ounces white vine vinegar
- 5 ounces brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- Put aubergines in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt, allow to stand for 30 mins and then remove the resultant liquid and pat the aubergines dry.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the seeds till they start to pop.
- Add the aubergines, onions, and garlic, fry for 5 minutes.
- Add chillies and vinegar, cook for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar and paprika and cook till thick.
- Bottle in warm jars and set aside for two months.
- N.B. if this is not spicy enough just stir in a spoon of chilli powder.