Recipe by Brian Holley
If you enjoy a curry this is a good chutney to make. It will keep for ever ( if you haven't used it ) Make it in advance and allow the flavour to develope. Don't just eat this with curry, it goes well with cheese and cold meats too.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs aubergines, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 heads garlic, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces onions, sliced
- 3 dried red chilies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 pints white wine vinegar
- 5 ounces brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the sesame seeds until they start to pop.
- Add the garlic and onions and fry for five minutes.
- Add the aubergines and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and chillies and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar and paprika and cook till the chutney is thick.
- Bottle in clean, dry and warm bottles.