Our own Auberge de la Fontaine Lavender Pancakes - these are made with home-grown organic lavender flowers from our garden here in SW France, where we often serve them for breakfast! They also make a very elegant dessert when served with cream and fruit - I sometimes serve them with Rosy Rosé Berries: Strawberries and Raspberries in Wine. If you cannot get hold of culinary lavender, these pancakes are just fine if served with the lavender honey, butter and/or cream and fresh fruit.
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered dried lavender flowers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and allowed to cool slightly
- cooking spray or butter
- lavender honey, to serve
- cream, to serve
- butter, to serve
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients together.
- Add the milk, eggs and vanilla extract and whisk until well combined.
- Whisk in the melted butter until the batter is thick and very smooth.
- Heat frying pan or griddle over medium heat, and spray with cooking oil spray or grease with a knob of butter.
- Spoon the pancake batter onto the griddle in equal amounts and cook until bubbles come to the surface of the batter and the edges start to curl up.
- Flip pancakes with a spatula, and cook for a few seconds more on the second side.
- Check underneath for a golden brown colour– if they are too pale, keep cooking them a bit longer.
- When they are done, remove them from the griddle/frying pan and put on a large heat-proof plate in the oven to keep warm and continue until all the batter is used.
- Makes about a dozen pancakes.
- Top with Lavender honey and cream, or butter and Lavender honey.
- Great with fruit also!
Absolutely delightful! I did double the recipes for the 4 of us & had no leftovers. :o Made for ZWT5 To Go Challenge!
Nice fluffy pancakes, with an elegant taste.
What a treat! These are delicious! So light and airy, and the lavender is a nice touch. I served with Kozmic Blues's Lavender Honey .