Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful colourful, fruity & flavourful stuffing recipe; you can use any type of bread, but stale bread works best! I have used dried cranberries, but fresh can be used too. Likewise, I have listed vacuum packed chestnuts, but fresh, frozen or canned can also be used. This stuffing is best made upto a day before - to allow the flavours to infuse & mingle......it can also be frozen for up to a month if you want to get ahead for Christmas or Thanksgiving! I stuff some into the neck cavity & under the breast skin - this keeps the breast from drying out; I then bake the rest in an ovenproof dish. Makes a GREAT filling for post-Christmas sandwiches!
- 56.69 g butter
- 6 pink shallots, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves stripped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh celery top
- 170.09 g stale bread, cut into cubes
- 2 cooking apples, cored & chopped into cubes
- 113.39 g vacuum packed chestnuts, chopped
- 113.39 g dried cranberries
- 1 large orange, zest of
- 453.59 g good quality pork sausage
- salt and black pepper
- Melt butter in a large pan and gently fry the chopped shallots, rosemary & thyme leaves together for about 10 minutes or until shallots are soft & golden.
- Tip them into a large bowl & add the celery tops, bread, apples, chestnuts, cranberries & orange zest.
- Divide the sausage meat into small balls the size of walnuts.
- Fry in the juices from the shallots in the same pan until the pieces are golden & well cooked.
- Add to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Stir to mix well, mashing all the ingredients together with the back of a fork.
- Season with salt & black pepper.
- Use the stuffing to stuff the neck end of a large chicken or turkey.
- Put the remaining stuffing into a well greased ovenproof dish & cover with buttered foil.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 180C/360F or Gas mark 4 for about 45 minutes or until well cooked through.
- You can remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to brown the top if you wish.
- Makes enough stuffing to stuff a 12-14 lb turkey.
I cut this back to 4 servings and stuffed 3 Cornish game hens with it! Wonderful!!!!! I don't know what else to say, but wonderful!