1/3 Photos of Auberge Cranberry and Sausage Stuffing With Chestnuts and Orange
1 hr 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
A wonderful colourful, fruity & flavourful stuffing recipe; you can use any type of bread, but stale bread works best! I have used dried cranberries, but fresh can be used too. Likewise, I have listed vacuum packed chestnuts, but fresh, frozen or canned can also be used. This stuffing is best made upto a day before - to allow the flavours to infuse & mingle......it can also be frozen for up to a month if you want to get ahead for Christmas or Thanksgiving! I stuff some into the neck cavity & under the breast skin - this keeps the breast from drying out; I then bake the rest in an ovenproof dish. Makes a GREAT filling for post-Christmas sandwiches!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces butter
- 6 pink shallots, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves stripped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh celery top
- 6 ounces stale bread, cut into cubes
- 2 cooking apples, cored & chopped into cubes
- 4 ounces vacuum packed chestnuts, chopped
- 4 ounces dried cranberries
- 1 large orange, zest of
- 1 lb good quality pork sausage
- salt and black pepper
- 1Melt butter in a large pan and gently fry the chopped shallots, rosemary & thyme leaves together for about 10 minutes or until shallots are soft & golden.
- 2Tip them into a large bowl & add the celery tops, bread, apples, chestnuts, cranberries & orange zest.
- 3Divide the sausage meat into small balls the size of walnuts.
- 4Fry in the juices from the shallots in the same pan until the pieces are golden & well cooked.
- 5Add to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- 6Stir to mix well, mashing all the ingredients together with the back of a fork.
- 7Season with salt & black pepper.
- 8Use the stuffing to stuff the neck end of a large chicken or turkey.
- 9Put the remaining stuffing into a well greased ovenproof dish & cover with buttered foil.
- 10Bake in a pre-heated oven 180C/360F or Gas mark 4 for about 45 minutes or until well cooked through.
- 11You can remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to brown the top if you wish.
- 12Makes enough stuffing to stuff a 12-14 lb turkey.
Browse Our Top Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Auberge Cranberry and Sausage Stuffing With Chestnuts and Orange
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.2
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 733.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 14.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of