1/9 Photos of Auberge Cheddar Cheese and Ham Breakfast Buns - Muffins
French Tart's Note:
These are what the French call "cakes" - they are little savoury buns or muffins - and are always requested for breakfasts in the Auberge. They are delicious split and spread with herb and garlic cheese when warm - or serve them alongside hot soups, stews, chilli or casseroles! I have also made these with grated Gruyere cheese as well as Emmenthal....the trick is to use a mature and strong tasting cheese. I have suggested using smoked ham in this recipe - it just gives a wonderful extra flavour to these delicious buns/muffins. They freeze well and are easily reheated, if you have any left! We often have these for Christmas morning breakfast or brunch with the optional chives added, and then spread with smoked salmon butter - divine!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 300 g self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon savoury instant bouillon granules (such as vegetable or chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry English-style mustard
- 150 g chopped smoked ham
- 185 g grated mature farmhouse cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 250 ml milk
- 6 tablespoons light olive oil or 6 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (optional)
- 1Pre-heat an oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 5.
- 2Grease a 12 hole muffin or bun tray/pan.
- 3Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper - but be careful not to over salt as the stock powder will contain salt.
- 4Stir in the ham and cheese, and chives if using, mix again.
- 5Add the egg, milk and olive oil - mix well - but do NOT over mix - just enough to combine the ingredients together. Adjust the consistency if too dry by adding a little more milk - the mixture should be a soft dropping consistency.
- 6Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin/bun tray/pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins are well risen and golden brown.
- 7Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack.
- 8Serve whilst warm - delicious if spread with butter or soft cheese!
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Auberge Cheddar Cheese and Ham Breakfast Buns - Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.2
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 655.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 22.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant bouillon granules