Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I had some potatoes I needed to use and was planning on making plain scalloped potatoes. I noticed that I also had two sweet onions that I probably should use also so this is the recipe that came out of it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 6 small potatoes
- 2 small sweet onions (such as Vidalia)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons.
- butter in small saucepan over medium heat and whisk in 1 tablespoons.
- Add milk in slowly, constantly stirring.
- Add cracked pepper, oregano, basil and minced garlic and whisk until well blended and slightly thickened and set aside.
- Thinly slice potatoes and onions separating the onions into rings.
- Layer 1/3 of the potato slices, 1/2 of the onion rings and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat one more time.
- End with the last 1/3 of the potato slices on the top.
- Pour the cream sauce evenly over potatoes, cover with bread crumbs and sprinkle melted butter over all.
- Bake covered for 1 hour, uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until done.
Definitely a keeper !