Prep 0 mins
Cook 23 mins
This is a Gooseberry Patch recipe;submitted by Teresa Podracky. It is a quick weeknight supper that takes less than 25 minutes to get from stove to table. I have changed it from oil to coconut oil and from regular cheddar to light cheddar cheese to make it diet friendly.
- 16 ounces kielbasa, cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 1⁄4 ounces au gratin potato mix
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups lowfat shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage in until lightly golden; drain. Add potatoes with contents of sauce mix. Stir in water. Cover and cook for 18 minutes, stirring often. Add vegetables; cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
This is fabulous and cannot recommend it enough to other parents/families. A great quick meal to have on hand (with 4 children and 3 after school activities, on 3 seperate afternoons, I need fast meals). I was a little unsure about the box of au gratin potatoes (no such thing is sold here in Australia) so peeled and sliced 5 medium potatoes and 1 sweet potato, then added 1 packet of au grating potato flavouring "three cheese" is what I had in the pantry, other than that, I made it as per the recipe. Hearty, creamy and filling while being cheap (I sliced 3 kransky sausages thinly). 6 clean plates, 1 happy mummy - this will be made again & again. Thanks for posting!
I made this on 6/24/13 for mine and my SO's dinner. The packaging sizes were changed due to what was on hand. I used a 14 oz. pkg. of smoked sausage and a 4.7 oz. box of Au gratin potatoes. I added a bit of chopped onion to the sausage as it was browning. After adding the potatoes and the sauce packet, a smaller amount of water was used (just a little over 2 cups). For the veggies,3/4 cup of peas & carrots were used.After covering, heat was reduce to low and simmered for about 10 more minutes. Then the cheese was added,and covered for about 5 minutes more. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
This was a quick and easy meal to make when I didn't want to cook in the first place. I didn't have quite 16oz of sausage so I sliced it thinly in semi-circles to make it appear like there was more. :) Since my DSs do not like most of the mixed veggie combos, I only added corn. Was very good and my DSs who usually refuse to eat potatoes really liked it! Made for Everyday Holiday.