Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cheesy and creamy through the center
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 4 medium white potatoes, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes (or 2 tbs snipped fresh parsley)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Grease 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Set aside.
- In small saucepan melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Blend in milk and half-and-half.
- Cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly, until heated through.
- Set aside.
- Layer one-third of potato slices, half of onion, one-third of parsley, one-third of cheese and one-third of sauce in casserole.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining potatoes, parsley, cheese and sauce.
- Bake in 375F degrees Convection oven on rack 3, 45-60 minutes (or bake in preheated 375F degrees radiant bake oven 1-1 1/4 hours) or until sauce is bubbly and potatoes are tender.
These were very tasty! Just the right amount of cheesiness, and potatoes were tender but not mushy. I left out the onions, threw in a bit more pepper to make up for it, and the taste was great.
I love this recipe. The second time I made it I carmelized my onions for a sweeter taste. Very easy to make.
DeLish!!! I doubled the recipe and used a 9x13 pan. I used 1 can evaporated and the rest 2% milk. I threw the onions in with the cream sauce so they would soften a little. Cooked them for a full hour. A few minutes longer would be good. I would definitely make this again (at least when I'm not dieting!)