Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
This is the recipe that my mom always made. It is requested often by my boyfriends family. They will look kind of oily, buy don't worry... they are good! Oh... and I'm not a big onion person, but its like they just melt into the potatoes. So please don't leave them out!
- 6 -8 white potatoes, sliced with skins on
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, thin sliced (Maui or Vidallia)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans cheddar cheese soup
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In large bowl mix together thin sliced onion and cheddar cheese soup
- In 13 x 9 pan layer Potatoes and onion cheese soup mixture, end with potatoes on top.
- Slice up 1/2 stick of Butter and randomly place on top layer.
- Cover with foil and place in oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour pull out of oven, uncover and sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Place back in oven uncovered for 5 minutes or until melted.
- This will be really hot when it comes out and the sauce will thicken if you wait a few minutes