Recipe by Gatorbek
Yummy, creamy comfort food - this is NOT health food! I have adapted this from a recipe I found online years ago to make it as easy on cleanup as possible. **EDIT: butter amount corrected following review 2/24.
Top Review by Francesca M.
This came out delicious! I followed the recipe step by step. However, I will add a bit more salt in the food when I make this again! This recipe is a must! I advise you guys to try it!
- 6 -7 medium potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup (or mushroom or celery or whatever you like, I use 1 chicken and 1 mushroom, usually)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Wash the potatoes, or peel if you like. We leave the skins on. Slice them thinly, about 1/4 inch thick. Boil for about 5 minutes to soften them, but don't overcook them! They should be soft, but not done.
- While potatoes are cooking, put butter and onion in a large microwave-safe dish and cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions are soft and slightly translucent. (I use my large Pyrex measuring cup.) Add remaining ingredients, mix well, and microwave 3-4 more minutes until bubbling.
- Layer potatoes and sauce mixture into greased dish, evenly coating potatoes. Top layer should be sauce. Bake for about 45 minutes until the top is browned and bubbly.
- (If you're pressed for time, microwave the casserole for about 10 minutes, then stick it under the broiler to brown the top - my family can't tell the difference!).