Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another one of my Favorites, I found this on the internet a couple years ago on another site and I have stayed pretty true to the recipe. I have turned on quite a few to Brussels Sprouts in the proccess also.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh Brussels sprouts or 20 ounces frozen Brussels sprouts, trim and rinse if using fresh
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook Brussels sprouts until tender in boiling salted water.
- Drain well and place in shallow baking dish.
- Make a thick sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan.
- Add flour and salt.
- Cook a minute or so.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in the milk and sour cream.
- Return to heat and cook until thickened but not boiling.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and pour over the sprouts.
- Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Place in hot oven or broiler to melt cheese.
We love brussel sprouts and this was a different way for me to make them. We enjoyed them but thought they needed a bit more seasoning. I did add a good bit of pepper but think it could have used some garlic too. I followed the recipe as written other then I cooked the whole thing on the stove.
Delicious! My kids and I love this recipe! It is a nice change from plain or vinegared sprouts. The sour cream gives it a nice smooth flavor. Would be great using monterey jack cheese as well. Thanks!
Nice, but I don't think brussels sprouts works totally well in a gratin form. I think I will just stick to sauteed or roasted, but this was nice enough to try anyway.