Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Au Gratin Artichokes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1⁄2 onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Cut artichoke hearts into thin slices and saute with garlic and onions until tender.
- Arrange artichoke, garlic, and onion mixture in a baking dish, reserving the butter.
- Add the salt, pepper, and butter to the butter.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add the milk until thick. Remove from heat.
- Add the egg and white wine and half of the cheese, stirring until smooth.
- Pour over the artichokes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese, bread crumbs, and paprika.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Very rich and delicious dish. I love gruyere cheese and it added a wonderful flavor to the artichokes. I did not have white wine, so I added some broth. This would be a great dish to serve for guests. Made for PAC 2011.
Everyone raved about this side dish....very elegant and yummy.