Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 3 lbs lamb, cut 1 1/2" cubes
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and strained or 1 tablespoon tomato paste, diluted with 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups raw rice
- Wash and dry meat.
- Brown 2/3 of the butter in large pot.
- Add meat and brown on all sides.
- Add onions and continue to cook until they become a light golden color.
- Add tomatoes or diluted tomato paste, and the salt, pepper and water.
- Cover pot and simmer until meat is tender, about.
- 1 hr.
- Put meat into casserole and keep it warm.
- Strain sauce; measure it.
- Add water if necessary to make 8 or 9 cups.
- Pour into lge.
- pot and bring to a boil.
- Add rice.
- Stir at the start to prevent sticking.
- Cover and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, 20-30 min.
- Remove from heat.
- Add meat and mix well.
- Brown remaining butter and pour it over the rice.
- Cover pot with a clean towel, then cover towel with pot lid.
- Let stand for 5 min.
- Serve hot.