Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Attar of roses means the volatile oil contained inside the fresh petals. It is used in making rose water and scented perfumes. Use only fresh petals that have been picked in the morning after the dew has evaporated but before the strong afternoon sun has warmed them:)
- Pat dry the rose petals and leaves between a layer of cotton towels or paper towels.
- Place a layer of petals inside a clean ceramic crock or dark-coloured glass jar.
- Over each layer, sprinkle a thin covering of salt.
- Repeat until the crock or jar is full.
- Cover the container tightly.
- Place in a cool and dark place for 3-6 weeks.
- The salt extracts the moisture from the petals and leaves, which should collect in the bottom of your jar.
- Strain the liquid through a coffee filter or several layers of cheesecloth.
- This is the wonderful scented attar of roses for you.
- To make fresh rose water, add a drop or two of this oil to 1 cup of distilled water.