Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a Canadian take on chili -- hope you like it hot and spicy!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans mushroom pieces, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans kidney beans, with liquid
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1⁄4 cup canadian beer
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- hot sauce, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef together with onion, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, and seasoned pepper.
- Drain the fat, and place the mixture into a slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker, stir together beef mixture, mushrooms, baked beans, kidney beans with liquid, tomato paste, sugar, carrots, celery, peppers, beer, and barbeque sauce.
- Season with hot sauce and more crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
WHEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!SPICCCYYYYY! This was wonderful chili, Friedel. I only added 1 jalapeno though because my BH likes spicy but not like I like it. This turned out great! I made it lastnight after work. Tonight we are having leftovers with some buttery rolls. This is terrific stuff. I made it with Molson Canadian beer and they wouldn't just sell me 1 beer so I bought a six pack and that beer is good too. Me and BH shared 1 before dinner. Thank you for a great recipe, Friedel.
Excellent stick to your ribs chili. I was afraid when I made this that it was way too thick. I added another 1/2 C of beer and it turned out perfect. The flavours come together very nicely. I had never used mushrooms before in a chile and they certainly added a pleasant touch. Will definately make again. Thanks so much for a great recipe.
Made this chili for our Halloween Bonfire this year. I got so many compliments on this chili. Many said it's the best chili they've ever had. So nice to make it all the night before then put in the slow cooker the morning to cook. Makes life easier!