Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are really, really HOT. Serranos look like a jalapeno but bite like a Habanero. Use Jalapenos for the faint at heart. Use Hot Italian Sausage if you cant find Chorizo.
- 16 serrano peppers
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 lb hot chorizo sausage
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 slices thick pepper bacon
- In a medium bowl mix together the hot sausage with the cheeses.
- Slice the Habanero into 16 equal pieces, discard seeds.
- Split the Serrano Peppers and remove seeds.
- Gently pinch open the Serrano peppers.
- Using a teaspoon fill peppers with sausage cheese mixture.
- Gently press one habanero slice into each pepper.
- Wrap each filled Serrano pepper with a slice of peppered bacon.
- Use a toothpick to adhear bacon to pepper.
- Grill or bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, turning several times.
- You want the bacon nicely browned.
Super yummy! I would not even dream about making these out of serranos AND add habanero, and was not able to find even jalapenos, so had to use what was on hand, some mild peppers. I added plenty pickled jalapeno in sausage mixture for compensation, though. That was dearing enough for us faint hearted, but absolutely loved them like that!
these were very tasty and fun