Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A thick, fruity Mexican hot chocolate.
- 1⁄2 cup masa corn flour (masa harina)
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 5 cups whole milk
- 3 -4 piloncillo, chopped (or 1/4 cup brown sugar plus 2 teaspoons molasses)
- 1 cinnamon stick (canella)
- 1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries (optional) or 1 cup pineapple chunk (optional)
- Place the 1/4 cup hot water and the masa into the jar of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium sized saucepan. Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the pan and add the cinnamon stick. Stir mixture until it begins to thicken.
- Add the piloncillo or sugar/molasses combination and continue to stir vigorously until the sugar is dissolved. Remove mixture from the heat. Slowly add the whole milk.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and add the pureed fruit and return to your heat source until mixture is warmed through. Remove the vanilla bean and serve hot.
I tried this recipe before a children's class. Good thing! I think it is missing something...maybe milk? Found another recipe for atole that included milk and this drink is yummy.