Prep 6 mins
Cook 5 mins
Masa Harina may be found in the specialty foods section of the grocery store.
Make and share this Atole recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup masa harina
- 5 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick, finely slivered
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the Masa Harina in a bowl and whisk in the milk, little by little.
- Pour the milk mixture into a pot and add the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, to keep it from becoming lumpy.
- Stir in the vanilla extract. Serve in mugs.
- Pineapple Atole.
- Follow the basic recipe, but omit the cinnamon. After the mixture has thickened and has been removed from the heat, add 1 small can crushed pineapple, undrained.
- Strawberry Atole.
- Follow the basic recipe, but omit the cinnamon. After the mixture has thickened and has been removed from the heat, add 2 cups fresh strawberries that have been hulled, washed and crushed.