Recipe by Manami
Breakfast seems to be the favorite meal, as well as, the meal that can be made 24 hrs a day.This is the Atlantic Hotel's answer to the all American meal. It is so flexible that it is great for everyone.
- 6 whole pita bread rounds or 6 regular pita bread rounds
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- chopped red onion
- bell pepper
- fresh herb (flavored cream cheese plain cream cheese add ins)
- 4 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
- crisp cooked bacon
- pancetta, crumbled
- sauteed mushroom
- quartered canned artichoke heart
- chopped red onion, sliced (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Lightly spread tops of pita bread rounds with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Arrange on very large baking sheet; bake 8 minutes or until toasted.
- In medium bowl beat together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- In large skillet melt remaining tablespoon of butter over medium heat; pour in egg mixture.
- Add cream cheese(and other add ins) as eggs cook.
- Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on bottom and around edge.
- With spatula, lift and fold partially cooked egg mixture so the uncooked portion flows underneath.
- Continue cooking until egg mixture is cooked through.
- Add other desired stir-ins.
- Spoon eggs atop toasted pita rounds; sprinkle with cheese.
- Return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Add desired toppers.
- *Toppers: Crisp cooked bacon or pancetta, crumbled; sliced, sauteed mushrooms; quartered, cooked, or canned artichoke hearts; chopped red onion; sliced smoked salmon; roasted red sweet pepper strips; shredded fresh spinach; flaked, cooked crab meat.
- **Stir-ins: Chopped red onion, tomatoes, peppers, capers, and/or 1 to 2 tablespoons snipped fresh herbs such as basil, thyme, or tarragon. Any kind of cheese, although cream cheese is especially delicious; add when scrambled eggs begin to cook.