Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
As seen on America's Test Kitchen, this revamped chewy cookie has deep toffee/butterscotch undertones. They highy recommend Ghiradelli 60% cacoa bittersweet chips or Hershey's Special Dark chips. It is important to bake one tray at a time for proper baking, and these are developed to make large cookies - 4-5" across. You'll have to use 3Tbsp of dough per cookie, giving 2" around each dough mound to allow for spreading. Cool cookies ON THE COOKIE SHEET for 30 to 60 minutes for the ideal cookies.
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (white)
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar (soft & fresh)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Line two cookie sheets with parchment.
- Take 10 tablespoons butter and melt and brown in in a metal pan, swirling mixture as milk solids in the butter begin to brown. Pour into a heat-proof bowl.
- Add in 4 tablespoons cold butter and whisk until melted.
- Whisk in the two types of sugar.
- Whisk in the salt, vanilla and then the eggs.
- IMPORTANT: Let mixture stand for three minutes and whisk again. REPEAT this process two more times.
- Combine flour and baking soda. Stir into wet mixture with a large spoon unitil incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Place 3 tablespoons of dough into mounds 2" apart onto cookie sheets.
- Place in center of the oven (only one sheet at a time) and bake for 11-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool ON THE SHEET for 30-60 minutes to ensure the ideal cookie.