Recipe by Kristy D.
This recipe was taken from PBS' America's Test Kitchen series. This has a great flavor and a little bit of spice! This is a hearty salad that goes great with anything on the grill or picnic! I hope you enjoy!
- 8 ounces pepperoni (cut into thin strips)
- 8 ounces salami (cut into thin strips)
- 10 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 ounces pepperoncini peppers, drained and chopped, 2 tablespoons liquid reserved
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb pasta (any curly kind will do)
- 1 cup provolone cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup basil (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place one paper towel on microwave-safe plate. Arrange pepperoni in single layer on paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and layer salami on towel. Top with another paper towel and microwave on highest power until meat begins to render fat, about 1 minute. Set meat aside.
- Whisk 5 tablespoons vinegar, olive oil, mayonnaise, pepperoncini juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl.
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta and cook until al dente. Drain pasta, return to pot, and toss with 1/2 cup dressing and remaining vinegar. Adjust seasonings, spread dressed pasta on rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining dressing to simmer in large skillet over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and cool.
- Add meat, provolone, chopped pepperoncini, basil, and cooled pasta to warm sauce and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature. Salad can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.