Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
from atkins cooking magazine, you'd hardly know this was diet food!
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup water
- 8 packets sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- heat oven to 350 pour boiling water into a roasting try until a bit less than half full.
- mix egg yolks, eggs, cream, water, sugar substitute, and extract in a blender until very smooth.
- pour into a 1 quart shallow baking dish.
- place in pan full of water and bake 30-35 minutes until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place over flan.
- refrigerate for 3 hours garnish with chopped almonds.
Oh my Goodness, this is absolutely delicious. I toasted the almonds to put on the top, other than that I made the recipe just like it said. Very good as we are really watching our carbs. Thanks Chia, I wlll be making this often. Our DS & DDIL is on the Atkins diet. I also gave here the recipe.
Good base recipe in the typical atkins style..however..am trying to watch my Fat intake so I subbed Carnation sugar free Italian sweet cream non dairy creamer..for the heavy cream and omitted the splenda and also unsweetened almond milk for the water...OMG..turned out great...think it added 2.5 carbs per serving with these changes...and of course the fat and calories..but I don't count them on Atkins anyway...
This is a good recipe! If you're low carb-ing and would like something sweet (and guilt free) this is something to try. My cook time was longer, almost an hour, but may have had something to do with my water bath evaporating. I used regular vanilla instead of almond but next time I think I will do almond, I could see that flavor really making this dish pop. I have a terrible sweet tooth so I increased the sweetener packets (Splenda) to 12 instead of 8, I also sprinkled cinnamon on top just before baking and it made a nice "crust" on top. I covered with plastic and let set up overnight and had to sample it for breakfast, it's really tasty. Just like chia said, "you'd hardly know this was diet food"! Thanks for sharing!