Recipe by Toni in Colorado
I got this recipe from "The Genuine Official Texas Cookbook". It's a great salad especially for get togethers.
Top Review by stingo
I very much enjoyed this easy to make recipe. Texturally, the pepper and onion provide the crunch, and the black eyed peas provide the weightiness we expect from comfort food. The marinade was excellent, perfectly complimenting the beans in a clean, refreshing, palate piquing way. Recommended.
- 30 ounces black-eyed peas (2 15 oz. cans)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the peas and rinse.
- Combine onion, bell pepper and peas.
- Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over pea mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for a time to blend.
- I have never timed how long it takes, so I'm guessing on the time.
- Note: I did not use the clove; I used 1 teaspoon from a jar of minced cloves.
- I also have added 1/4 cup sliced black olives.