- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon rose water
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in sugar and 1/2 cup of water. let it froth for 10 minutes.
- Put the flour in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and remaining water gradually.
- Beat vigorously into a creamy lump-free batter.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for an hour.
- To make the syrup, bring the water to a boil with sugar and lemon juice. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the rose water and simmer for a few more seconds. Allow to cool.
- Heat an oiled skillet until it is very hot. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Pour a half ladle of batter into the skillet, allowing it to spread. fry only one side of the pancake. when little holes appear, lift them out and set them on a platter to be stuffed.
- Put a heaping tablespoon of stuffing in the middle of each pancake. fold in half and pinch the edges tightly to allow no filling to escape.
- Deep fry a few at a time in medium hot oil about 1 inch deep. Remove when they turn pale brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Dip, while hot, in the syrup. pour the remaining syrup over the top of all of them and serve either hot or cold.