Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Broccoli and tomato is considered a great anti-oxidant pair. They are reputed to aid in cell repair, balance blood pressure and lower blood sugar. However, they are not suitable for everyone. Those with kidney problems should avoid them. This astragalus vegetable recipe tells you to remove the tomato skin because it is not easily digested. This is good for people who have digestive issues or for the elderly. If you like the skin (like me), you can skip that step. Astragalus root, known as é»„èŠª huang qi in mandarin, is a common chinese herb used to boost the immune system and helps relieve fatigue. If you are new to it, add just a little so that the taste is not too strong.
- Wash the broccoli and cut into little florets.
- Wash the mushrooms and cut in half.
- Wash the tomato, remove the skin by scoring the skin with a knife and blanch the tomato with hot water and cold water. The skin should shrink from the fruit making it easy to remove. Cut the fruit into quarters.
- Bring the astragalus and water to boil. Lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes. Strain off the root and keep the broth then add the rest of the ingredients to the broth.
- Add the tomato and mushrooms and cook a further 15 minutes.
- Lastly, add the broccoli, turn up the heat and cook till broccoli is done.
- Add salt to taste.