Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not your typical "sugar" frosting. One of my favorites, rich and flavorful.
- In a small saucepan, mix milk, flour and salt until smooth.
- Place over low heat and cook, stirring constantly until thickened (5-7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Cream butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually beat in cooled flour mixture until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Frosts one cake.
I love this frosting. My MIL uses this frosting always and has been my husbands favorite since he was a kid. I think she got the recipe from a Yankee magazine. It is a FABULOUS on chocolate cake. I have gotten many compliments on it.
I must be a complete idiot because when I made these all the flour rose to the top in little balls. And I can guarantee it wasn't the recipes fault, I've been doing that a lot lately. lol I made this as a frosting for brownies (I don't know why I'm pregnant and REALLY craving it) and like I said I messed it up but I was able to take all the chunky flour stuff off of it, and convince my husband it was a buttercream syrup..... ......Ok so I lied, but he believed me and they still tasted great! :-D Next time I will make these correctly, I promise.
Easy recipe to follow, used these to frost Christmas cookies and it worked wonderfully! We had enough frosting to make 4 different colors and have left overs!