Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an assortment of Polish appetizers and all the ingredients are not necessary. The amounts are an estimate, depending on which canapes you choose to make. You choose the ones you wish to make and use just those ingredients needed. Times are approx and number of servings depends on how many you make. Check my separate posting of the flavored butters for these.
- 1 (16 ounce) packagethinly sliced bread, various kinds
- 8 ounces flavored butter (horseradish, mustard, dill)
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb roast beef or 1⁄2 lb cooked turkey or 1⁄2 lb cooked pork, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb lox (smoked salmon)
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced cheese
- 8 lemon wedges
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber, sliced thin
- 10 radishes, sliced thin
- 1 green pepper (cut into thin strips)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- chopped chives
- HAM CANAPÉS (kanapki z szynka).
- Thinly spread bread with butter (plain or flavored with mustard or horseradish or with any of the various butter recipes in this section), top with a thin slice of ham the size of the bread and cover with a small slice of tomato, cucumber or radish.
- ROAST MEAT CANAPÉS (kanapki z pieczystym).
- Thinly spread bread with plain, mustard or horseradish flavored butter. Top with a thin slice of cold roast beef, roast pork, roast turkey or chicken. Garnish with a small tomato wedge and strip of green pepper plus a dollop of mayonnaise, or with a dab of whole-style cranberry sauce and a sprig of parsley.
- SMOKED SALMON CANAPÉS (kanapki z lososiem).
- Thinly spread bread with dill butter, top with a piece of lettuce, a slice of smoked salmon (lox), a small wedge of peeled lemon and a radish slice.
- EGG CANAPÉS (kanapki z jajkiem).
- Thinly butter bread with plain, dill or garden-green butter, top with a hard boiled egg slice, decorate with a splotch of mayonnaise (or a blend of mayonnaise and brown mustard) and a small thin radish slice stuck in the mayonnaise. Sprinkle with chopped chives and dust with paprika.
- YELLOW CHEESE CANAPÉS (kanapki z zoltym serem).
- Cover bread thinly with plain or mustard flavored butter, a slice of yellow cheese, garnish with a strip of green pepper and/or radish and dust with paprika.
Simple, but elegant and delicious. I made the lox canape, and went heavy on the dill, which was superb with it (I left the radish off, since I don't really care for them).