Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
My husband brought his variation of this dish from the Netherlands and while I admit to loving garlic, I was a bit hesitant (before I tried it) about loving so MUCH garlic. As many of you know and I soon found out, the sharpness of raw garlic softens considerably into a sweet, creamy loveliness that can't be beat. I started eating this dish with a tiny smidgen of garlic with each bite of chicken and I've since graduated to about 1 clove per bite. Make sure everyone you plan to meet in the next three days also eats it or you could be jailed for assault with a deadly breath.
Top Review by cervantesbrandi
This chicken was to die for. I added small red potatoes after the first 20 minutes of cooking and they came out perfect. Also, served with steamed green beans ..... I mashed a couple of the cooked garlic cloves and added into the green beans once the chicken was fully cooked. Delicious dinner. I think I will make 2 chickens next time so that there will be leftovers for lunch. Thanks!
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 -3 heads garlic (30-40 cloves)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence, plus
- 1⁄4 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Break the heads of garlic into cloves and cut the tip off each clove. Do NOT peel the cloves.
- Butter a casserole dish or deep baking pan and distribute the garlic evenly over the bottom. Clean up the chicken and put it in the baking pan, breast side up, on top of the garlic.
- Salt and pepper the outside of the chicken and sprinkle the sugar inside the chicken. Sprinkle 1 tablespoons of herbes provencales UNDER the breast skin and 1/4 teaspoons inside the chicken.
- Cut about half a stick of butter into slices and distribute these over and around the chicken. Put in oven UNcovered.
- Baste after 20 minutes, then every 10 minutes thereafter.
- Take out of the oven after 1 hour and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut up the chicken. Take the carcass out of the pan and retrieve the garlic. Serve the chicken with the garlic and drizzle with the accumulated gravy/chicken juice.
- Eat and steer clear of children, the elderly and small, vulnerable animals for 24 hours.