Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Another interesting dish from India. This is a favorite of my son and his fiends. I have to cook this for them nearly every week. With just a few steps to follow it's easy.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 2 ounces ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves, crumpled
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cardamoms, split open
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Heat the ghee and fry all of the spiceswith the garlic.
- Add the chicken and brown all over. Add the onion and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and simmer 1 hour or till meat is tender.
I followed the recipe exactly, and I wouldn't change a thing. The sauce was both smooth and rich, perfectly balanced. I used a whole chicken, skinned and jointed and black cardamom pods since the recipe didn't specify. Super easy to make and very much enjoyed. Yum! Thanks Brian!
This is a fantastic Indian dish. I actually take all the ingredients and throw them in my crock pot for the day. The only alteration is that I use 1.5 cups water and two chicken stock cubes for the chicken broth. This recipe taste like authentic Indian and is super easy and quick to make! Don't let the ghee scare you off - it's really easy to make as well. I googled how to do it!
Brian H- you're the best. What a totally simple recipe. You wouldn't expect this much flavor judging by the amount of work (or lack thereof) required. So tasty and smells heavenly when cooking. Used chicken breasts- bad idea. We will be trying again with thighs and ideally bone-in pieces, as the recipe states. I can't begin to imagine how much that will add to the flavor. I shoulda known better than to have changed a BrianH recipe!!! Fabulous AS IS!