Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
This spicy, savory chicken recipe was inspired by a veal cutlet recipe of similar nature. I like the chicken better.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 cup pepato (*)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, washed and patted dry
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup olive oil
- *Pepato is a mixture of grated parmesan and pepper.
- You can buy Alessi Pepato or prepare your own by grinding 2 tbs red pepper flakes in a coffee or spice grinder and mixing with 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese.
- Substitute black peppercorns if you do not have red pepper flakes.
- Divide the flour evenly onto two plates.
- To one, add the paprika, to the other add the Pepato (parmesan/pepper mixture.) In a shallow bowl, beat the egg with the hot sauce.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat- do not let it smoke.
- Dip the chicken breasts first in the flour/paprika mix, shake off excess flour, dip in the egg wash, coating both sides thoroughly, then dip in the flour/Pepato mix to cover well.
- When oil is hot, add the chicken breasts.
- Do not overcrowd.
- Cook until the coating is golden brown, about three minutes each side.
- Remove and place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve on a bed of spring greens or romaine lettuce.