Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Packed full of colorful vegetables, this Asparagus, Zucchini, and Yellow Pepper Frittata is a fresh-flavored, low-cal baked egg dish perfect to serve for brunch -- or anytime of the day.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus (or two 9-10 ounce packages frozen cut asparagus)
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 1 cup)
- 10 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half (milk or fat free evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Butter a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- If using fresh asparagus, snap off and discard woody bases, scrape off scales, if desired and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring about 1 inch water to boiling.
- Add asparagus, pepper strips, and onion; bring just to boiling.
- Reduce heat slightly; cover and boil about 1 minute or until crisp-tender.
- Drain well, reserving some asparagus tips for garnish.
- Spread asparagus-pepper mixture evenly in baking dish.
- Layer zucchini slices over.
- Combine eggs, half-and-half, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over vegetables in baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven about 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish each serving with asparagus tips, if desired.
Delicious and beautiful. I made half the recipe. Unlike many fritattas, this one was not watery at all. Rich and still healthy -- how can one beat that?? It also reheated remarkably well in a very low microwave. The only thing I was uncertain about was the timing of adding the basil. I did add a couple of strips of torn up peppered bacon. Thanks for offering this; it's yummy.
This was exactly what I was looking for. Easy, tasty and in the oven. Today I was too tired for stirring in pots! I love cooking in the oven, this makes the life easier.
I've served this simply with bread. In this way we got a complete meal.
Thanks a lot for posting this recipe. Done for ZWT7.