Recipe by Oolala
Makes 4 first course servings. From a magazine clipping in my recipe box. Sounds impressive. Green or white asparagus will work.
- 1 lb asparagus, peeled
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 ounce prosciutto, thinly sliced, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 lb sea scallops
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the asparagus in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer the asparagus to a colander and leave the pan of water simmering on the stove.
- Melt 1 tablespoons butter in a large skillet.
- Add the proscuitto to the butter and cook over low heat until crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer proscuitto to a plate.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet and add the scallops, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the scallops to a plate.
- Add the lemon zest to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the lemon juice and simmer for 10 seconds.
- Add the broth and simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan until reduced to a rich glaze, about 3 minutes.
- Swirl in the remaining 1/2 tablespoons butter and return the scallops to the pan, along with any juices and cook on low heat until heated through.
- Return the asparagus to the simmering water to heat through.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs, transfer the asparagus to a large platter and spoon the scallops and sauce over it.
- Top with proscuitto and serve.