1/2 Photos of Asparagus With Sauce Gribiche
Sauce Gribiche is similar to an aioli or a mayonnaise sauce with chopped hard cooked eggs, capers, pickles and herbs. It is also terrific over meat or fish or even potatoes! You can substitute 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or to taste) instead of making your own. Taste and add mustard and/or vinegar, if desired. Also, use your choice of fresh herbs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 36 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and separated
- 1 egg (see description)
- 22.18 ml whole grain Dijon mustard (see description)
- 22.18 ml white wine vinegar (see description)
- fleur de sel (see description)
- fresh ground black pepper (see description)
- 118.29 ml grapeseed oil (see description)
- 29.58 ml capers, minced
- 29.58 ml cornichons or 29.58 ml pickles, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh chervil, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh chives, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh cilantro, minced
- 12 sprig parsley or 12 sprig chervil, for garnish
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; prepare an ice water bath.
- 2Cook asparagus until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes depending on size; plunge into water bath, then pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Asparagus can also be pan fried, just until the tips are golden, instead of blanching.
- 4Coarsely chop the egg whites and set aside; push the yolks through a sieve into a medium sized bowl.
- 5Separate the egg and place the yolk into a large bowl; reserve the white for another use.
- 6Whisk mustard and vinegar into the egg yolk; season with salt and pepper.
- 7Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified and thickened.
- 8Fold in capers, cornichons, herbs, egg whites, and egg yolks; taste and season again with salt and pepper, if needed.
- 9Arrange asparagus on a serving platter, or individual plates; top with several dollops of the sauce and garnish with parsley or chervil sprigs.
- 10NOTE: If substituting with mayonnaise, use about 1/2 cup of that (or more to taste) and leave out the egg entirely. Use mustard and vinegar to taste as well as the salt and pepper. Leave out the oil.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus With Sauce Gribiche
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.6
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 155.0 mg
- Sodium 239.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar