Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sauce Gribiche is similar to an aioli or a mayonnaise sauce with chopped hard cooked eggs, capers, pickles and herbs. It is also terrific over meat or fish or even potatoes! You can substitute 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or to taste) instead of making your own. Taste and add mustard and/or vinegar, if desired. Also, use your choice of fresh herbs.
- 36 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and separated
- 1 egg (see description)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard (see description)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (see description)
- fleur de sel (see description)
- fresh ground black pepper (see description)
- 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil (see description)
- 2 tablespoons capers, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornichons or 2 tablespoons pickles, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chervil, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 12 sprigs parsley or 12 sprigs chervil, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; prepare an ice water bath.
- Cook asparagus until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes depending on size; plunge into water bath, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Asparagus can also be pan fried, just until the tips are golden, instead of blanching.
- Coarsely chop the egg whites and set aside; push the yolks through a sieve into a medium sized bowl.
- Separate the egg and place the yolk into a large bowl; reserve the white for another use.
- Whisk mustard and vinegar into the egg yolk; season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified and thickened.
- Fold in capers, cornichons, herbs, egg whites, and egg yolks; taste and season again with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Arrange asparagus on a serving platter, or individual plates; top with several dollops of the sauce and garnish with parsley or chervil sprigs.
- NOTE: If substituting with mayonnaise, use about 1/2 cup of that (or more to taste) and leave out the egg entirely. Use mustard and vinegar to taste as well as the salt and pepper. Leave out the oil.
Excellent! I found pencil this asparagus which I pan fried with the top quickly. I love all the fresh herbs. But didn't use the cilantro went for basil in it`s place. (DH doesn't like it). For the grapeseed oil I used avocado oil. This is a must make. Served with Salmon With Lentils and Mustard-Herb Butter (Saumon Aux Lentille. Made for WZT #8 Merci!
We love asparagus any way. Gribiche kind of reminded us of a very, very fancy egg salad. We love trying new kinds of egg salad. This was a great combination. Made for ZWT8.