Prep 5 mins
Cook 46 mins
Can be served as a colourful first course,or as a side dish, Beautiful presentation! Evolved to our taste from Smart cooking by Anne Lindsay
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 lbs asparagus
- spaghettini (just cooked enough to soften)
- Roast peppers on a baking sheet in 375 degree oven for 18 minutes.
- Turn and roast on other side for 18 minutes longer or until peppers are blistered and soft, not charred.
- Remove from oven and place hot peppers in a heavy paper or plastic bag.
- Cover bag and let peppers steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using fingers and a small knife, peel skin from peppers, it should come off easily, seed peppers and cut into strips.
- In frypan, heat oil over medium heat, when hot, add roasted peppers and thyme.
- Saute for 2 minutes, season with pepper to taste.
- Puree in food processor or blender.
- ,Can be prepared in advance, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week, reheat gently over low heat before continuing with recipe.
- Wash and break tough ends off asparagus, tie in bundles of 3 or 4 with strands of spaghettini.
- Carefully place in steamer or large pot of boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes until tender.
- drain carefully and thoroughly.
- Spoon heated pepper puree over individual plates.
- Arrange hot asparagus bundles on top and drizzle a little more puree over.