Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious starter adapted from a recipe from Huey's website. Huey (Iain Hewitson) is a popular Australian chef, whose TV show appears twice daily. He is also the author of several books.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup pouring cream
- 1 whole egg yolk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup thickened cream
- 2⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- kitchen aluminum foil
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 225°C.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan, continually stirring. Then add the flour and mix well to make a roux.
- At the same time, bring the milk and pouring cream to the boil. Then add it to the flour mix and whisk well until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk the egg, egg yolks and thickened cream. Then add them to the hot mixture and stir well.
- Add the parmesan and seasonings, and whisk well.
- Lightly brush 4 dariole moulds with melted butter and pour in the mixture. Place in an oven tray and fill 2/3 up the sides of the moulds with boiling water. Then cover the moulds with foil and cook in the oven for about 40-45 mins until a knife comes out clean.
- Blanch the asparagus in lightly salted boiling water until crisp-tender. Drain and serve alongside the turned out mousses.