Chef #680297's Note:
A delightful Spring treat from the NY Times. Creamy French Classic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4-1/2 ounce dried morels or 1/4-1/2 ounce porcini mushroom
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 lb fresh shiitake mushrooms or 1 lb white button mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 1 -1 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2 -inch length
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped or 1 tablespoon fresh chervil
- salt and pepper
- 1Put morels, porcinis or both in a bowl with very hot water to cover; soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain morels and reserve soaking liquid. Cut morels in half; if porcinis are large, chop them roughly.
- 2Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; when butter is hot and foam has subsided, add shallots and reconstituted and fresh mushrooms to pan. Cook until shallots soften and fresh mushrooms have released their liquid and it has cooked off, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add asparagus and 1/2 cup reserved liquid to pan. Bring liquid to a boil, cover, reduce heat so mixture simmers, and continue cooking for another 2 to 4 minutes, or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Add cream and tarragon or chervil and continue cooking, uncovered, until sauce thickens slightly and asparagus is tender, about 4 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus With Morel Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.3
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 50.8 mg
- Sodium 110.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: