Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
The dreamsicle-colored sauce is a nice accent on steamed asparagus and adds very few calories. This won rave reviews when I served it for Easter dinner. I have included my make-shift instructions for steaming asparagus in a large frying pan. The sauce came from Taste of Home in April/May 1999. Preparation time does not include refrigerator chilling time.
- 1⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange peel (grated)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus (soaked clean)
- 4 slices oranges, halved into half moons (for garnish)
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, orange juice, orange peel, and cayenne. Let chill for 2 hours in refrigerator.
- Soak asparagus in water for 10 minutes. Break off woody ends (ends can be used to make a vegetable stock). Purists scrape off the bud triangles on the stalk (I am not a purist.).
- Set a round wire cooling rack (for cake pans or cookies) in a large frying pan. Pour water up to 1/4-inch below the cooling rack. Place asparagus on top of cooling rack. If necessary, form a second layer at a 90-degree angle to the first layer. Cover.
- Heat frying pan on medium-high heat to steam asparagus for 7 minutes.
- Place steamed asparagus spears on plates and top with a dollop of orange sauce. Garnish each serving with 2 half moons of orange slices.
This wonderful dish was served with Easter dinner. I made the sauce a day in advance using fresh squeezed orange juice. I ended up doubling the amount of orange juice for a stronger orange flavor, tasting and stirring after each addition. The sauce is so easy to make; I'm sure I will be making it often. Thanks for sharing! Made for Spring PAC 2014.
This got mixed reviews at our house. While most liked the sauce they just didn't care for it on the asparagus.
Loved this! I doubled the recipe and used 1 pound asparagus, also I used 3 tablespoons frozen thawed orange juice concentrate with really increased the orange flavor, great recipe for asparagus, thanks for posting Kate!