Recipe by JanuaryBride
This is a recipe from The No Salt Cookbook. Very tasty side dish that is flavorful in spite of the fact that it's low sodium. Feel free to substitute veggie broth to turn this into a fabulous vegetarian/vegan dish.
Top Review by magpie diner
Easy to prepare and I really liked having the sauce to drizzle over everything afterwards (which I did thicken up a bit as suggested). I only cooked the asparagus about 5 or 6 mins as it was pretty thin....it was cooked perfectly and I forgot all about this being a no salt dish (of course my broth did have salt in it).
- 16 asparagus spears
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash asparagus and break off the tough, woody ends.
- Heat oil over medium heat in saute pan large enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Add shallot and garlic and cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice and sugar; stir to blend.
- Drop in the asparagus, turn up the heat and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, decrease heat to low and simmer uncovered until asparagus is just tender (about 8-10 minutes).
- Remove asparagus to a platter and pour the juice over it just before serving and top with black pepper.
- Note: Feel free to thicken up the sauce with a little cornstarch mixed with cold water if you like.