1/1 Photo of Asparagus With Lemon-Basil Gouda Cheese Sauce
Fresh bright green asparagus is just wonderful and adding a nice cheese and lemon flavored sauce, topped with sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts… not only is an appealing dish to the eye, but tasty as well! This recipe was made especially for the RSC# 11 contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g fresh asparagus (trim off the bottom hard part and discard)
- 4.92 ml salt (mix with 3 tablespoons water)
- 59.14 ml basil leaves, chopped
- 14.79 ml shallot, chopped finely
- 4.92 ml garlic (garlic clove pressed)
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 29.58 ml margarine (substitute butter)
- 59.14-118.29 ml chicken stock (College Brand)
- 29.58 ml cornstarch (blend with 2 tablespoons water)
- 44.37 ml lemon juice (substitute lime juice)
- 2 egg yolks (blend with 2 tablespoons water)
- 118.29 ml gouda cheese, grated (substitute Asiago Cheese)
- 29.58 ml pine nuts
- 29.58 ml sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 1Place the asparagus in a microwave proof plate, sprinkle with salt water, use plastic wrap to cover, then reserve.
- 2Combine the basil leaves, shallots, garlic, cayenne pepper and puree in a food blender.
- 3In a non-stick pot place 2 tablespoons margarine, pureed basil leaves and cook briefly.
- 4Add ¼-1/2 stock, bring to a boil, add lemon juice and salt to taste, add corn starch mixture and stir until smooth and very thick (no lumps), let cool for about a minute.
- 5Cook the asparagus in the microwave for 3 to 3-1/2 minutes.
- 6As the asparagus is being cooked in the microwave, add the egg yolks a little at a time to the sauce (with flame/burner turned off), blend, stirring with a whisk and make sure there are no lumps.
- 7Remove the plastic wrap from the asparagus dish and discard the water.
- 8Pour the sauce over the asparagus, sprinkle the grated cheese over the asparagus sauce.
- 9Then place the plate under a broiler or in a toaster over for a minute or so in order for the cheese to melt.
- 10Finally, sprinkle pine nuts and sun dried-tomatoes on top.
- 11Serve and enjoy!
- 12Note: Gouda is a mild cheese and Asiago is a stronger tasting cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Asparagus With Lemon-Basil Gouda Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.6
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 94.8 mg
- Sodium 685.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: