Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
These flavours go so well together!
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 small grated lemon, zest of, of
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- garlic salt
- 12 -16 asparagus spears
- sea salt
- Mix together the butter, lemon zest and grated Parmesan and season with garlic salt.
- Put to one side.
- Snap the asparagus 2-4 cm/¾-1½in from the base of the stalks, the spears should naturally find their own breaking point.
- If the asparagus is particularly thick, trim away any tough-looking pointy ears on the stalk, as these can have a bitter taste.
- Place the asparagus in a wide saucepan or large, deep frying pan of rapidly boiling salted water, cook for 2-5 minutes depending on their thickness until just tender. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and shake off any excess water.
- Place on a warm plate and sit the flavoured butter on top. Turn the asparagus so the butter is melting and oozing over every spear, then sprinkle over some sea salt.
Such a simple and quick recipe to throw together, I will make it again but next time I will also add some lemon juice over the spears at the end before serving. It lacked a little bit of flavour.
The combination of the zing from the lemon & earthiness of the parmesan added a nice burst of flavor to the asparagus. Served with baked cod and a green salad for an easy summer meal. Made in memory of Annalies.
We loved the Parmesan and lemon combination in this recipe. The flavors complimented the asparagus perfectly! My asparagus spears were quite thin, so I used 1-lb. Also, I microwaved the asparagus for about 7 minutes instead of boiling it. This recipe is definitely a keeper!!
**Made for Pets'R'us cookathon**