Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this off the internet somewhere and it looked very tempting. I haven't tried this yet, so it's here for safekeeping!
- 1 lb asparagus, spears
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf sourdough French bread
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 lb vidalia onions or 1⁄2 lb other sweet onion, thickly sliced
- parsley sprig
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a knife or vegetable peeler, if desired.
- Drop asparagus and onion wedges into a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and plunge into ice water; drain well.
- Pat dry with a paper towel; set aside.
- Combine ricotta cheese, fresh thyme, chives, and chervil in a bowl; stir well, and set aside.
- Cut bread crosswise into 6 (1-inch-thick) slices; reserve remaining bread for another use.
- Toast bread slices under broiler until golden brown.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over bread and set aside.
- Heat non-stick skillet with olive oil.
- Add onion, salt, and pepper; saute for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add asparagus and heat.
- Top bread with onions and asparagus.
- Place briefly under the broiler to heat.
Very good. I used oregano instead of the chervil. After step 7 toasting the bread slices under broiler until golden brown I rub garlic on the bread then proceeded with this yummy recipe. I sauteed the onions with a bit of sugar to get them carmelized. Thanks for a great recipe.