Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A very rich side, sinfully delish served with grilled pork, or any meat really! From The River Cafe, London. This sauce would be good with grilled pork tenderloin, or steaks, with a spoon... :-)
- 1133.98 g asparagus, trimmed
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 28.34 g butter
- 198.44 g gorgonzola
- 56.69 g mascarpone
- 59.14 ml fresh basil leaf, chopped
- Melt the butter very gently in a medium sized sauce pan and then add the gorgonzola. Heat until the cheese is softened, but don't allow it to become liquid, you want it just warm.
- Add the mascarpone, fresh basil, a little salt and some freshly ground pepper and remove from the heat.
- Briefly blanch the asparagus in a generous amount of boiliing salted water (about 2 minutes). Drain the asparagus and dry.
- Put the asparaus onto warmed plates. Pour over the sauce and serve with the fresh parmesan.
This is a wonderful dish for those that like Blue cheese. The flavours are intense and a perfect compliment to the crispy asparagus. What a delightfully different side dish which my son and I loved - while DH who's not a blue cheese fan was less impressed. More for us!
Very rich and easy to make, delicious and beautiful, a sense of luxury on the plate. We all wondered if the gorgonzola and mascarpone would be too intense, but it was not; everybody loved it. The one drawback is cost -- this is a pretty expensive little dish of sauce. Made for Aus/NZ swap, May 2008.
AMAZING! VERY easy to make, the sauce was heavenly over asparagus. Also, we used a bit of lemon juice in the bioling water, which stopped the asparagus from losing its color. We did that then skipped putting the asparagus into ice water after boiling. I HIGHLY recommend this as a side dish for any meat dish you want to show off!