Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The star of this dish is the sauce. Another stunner from Martha Stewart! Use this sauce in or with almost anything from poached salmon to artichokes. This asparagus dish is excellent served with grilled quail, or tuna, a roasted mushroom risotto and a bottle of Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir! Heaven on earth.
- To prepare the asparagus, cut off the tough end of each stalk so that all are approximately the same length.(* Martha says to peel but I skip this step.).
- Boil for about three-four minutes, or until al dente.
- In a small, nonreactive saucepan, combine the shallots, wine, salt, and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid has been reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.
- The liquid must be just warm enough to incorporate the butter but not hot enough to liquefy it.
- Whisk in the butter, a piece at a time, until the mixture is well blended and creamy. If the mixture becomes too cool and the butter will not incorporate, return the pan to low heat for a moment or two.
- When all butter is incorporated and the mixture is smooth, whisk in the cornichons.
- Serve immediately over the asparagus.