Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick and easy to make in the microwave. The sauce is absolutely luscious over the crisp spears.
Make and share this Asparagus With Cheese Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 453.59 g fresh tender asparagus
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml warm milk
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 2.46 ml salt (or to taste)
- In a large micro-wave safe glass bowl, heat butter about 50 seconds on high, or until melted.
- Whisk in the 2 tablespoons of flour and 1 cup of heated milk.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place in microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes, pausing to whisk thoroughly every 30 seconds.
- Season to taste with salt and whisk again.
- Set cheese sauce aside.
- Bend asparagus until they break at a natural point; discard ends.
- Place asparagus spears in a microwavable glass covered dish, with half the spears going one way, and half the spears going the other way.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the dish.
- Cook, covered, for 6-7 minutes on high, pausing to turn dish every 2 minutes and checking asparagus for doneness.
- Reheat sauce for 1 minute on high before adding to asparagus, if necessary (you may not need all the sauce).
A flavorful sauce (I used cheedar-jack cheese), but I didn't like the slightly grainy texture from the roux. I think I would rather use cornstarch stirred into cool milk, and just make it on the stovetop next time and get that silkier texture. I did not have any problems with thickening like another reviewer commented on. When I stirred in the hot milk, it thickened beautifully and immediately.
I added a touch of garlic powder and freshly cracked pepper. Was very tasty!
I didn't make the sauce, just the asparagus (though the sauce does sound good!) I used a pyrex loaf pan, and found the asparagus was crisp tender in 4.5 minutes. :-) TFS!
This was so easy to make. Very tasty. And I loved the fact that there was extra cheese sauce. We drizzled it over our baked potatoes. I will be making this again. Thanks for such an easy and wonderful recipe.