Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick and easy to make in the microwave. The sauce is absolutely luscious over the crisp spears.
- 1 lb fresh tender asparagus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a large micro-wave safe glass bowl, heat butter about 50 seconds on high, or until melted.
- Whisk in the 2 tablespoons of flour and 1 cup of heated milk.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place in microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes, pausing to whisk thoroughly every 30 seconds.
- Season to taste with salt and whisk again.
- Set cheese sauce aside.
- Bend asparagus until they break at a natural point; discard ends.
- Place asparagus spears in a microwavable glass covered dish, with half the spears going one way, and half the spears going the other way.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the dish.
- Cook, covered, for 6-7 minutes on high, pausing to turn dish every 2 minutes and checking asparagus for doneness.
- Reheat sauce for 1 minute on high before adding to asparagus, if necessary (you may not need all the sauce).
A flavorful sauce (I used cheedar-jack cheese), but I didn't like the slightly grainy texture from the roux. I think I would rather use cornstarch stirred into cool milk, and just make it on the stovetop next time and get that silkier texture. I did not have any problems with thickening like another reviewer commented on. When I stirred in the hot milk, it thickened beautifully and immediately.
I added a touch of garlic powder and freshly cracked pepper. Was very tasty!
I didn't make the sauce, just the asparagus (though the sauce does sound good!) I used a pyrex loaf pan, and found the asparagus was crisp tender in 4.5 minutes. :-) TFS!
This was so easy to make. Very tasty. And I loved the fact that there was extra cheese sauce. We drizzled it over our baked potatoes. I will be making this again. Thanks for such an easy and wonderful recipe.