Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I saw this on a Rachel Ray episode on Food Network and thought I'd give it a try. I really enjoyed it. I made one change by adding the balsamic vinegar.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces on an angle
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan, in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until caramel colored, stirring occasionally.
- Pour 1-inch of water into a skillet and bring to boil.
- Add salt and asparagus and cook 3 minutes, drain.
- Stir mustard, balsamic vinegar, thyme and pepper into onions and toss with asparagus to coat.
What's not to like? Really enjoyed the blending of flavors. The onions were a nice addition. Made for PAC Spring 2012.
I would've never thought to add Dijon mustard to sparrow-grass, but this was mighty good! Didn't change a thing....and was glad to have it on my plate! *My Three Chefs 08 - Sparrow Guts!*